Digital Marketing is the 21st Century way of driving successful marketing campaigns. It’s the latest of communicating brand vision and uses social media as one of the primary platforms. With the rise in such tools, there is a subsequent increase in digital marketing jobs across industries and sectors. To ace the interview part for the role, we’ve compiled a list of the most commonly asked digital marketing interview questions divided into three parts – Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.
1) Explain what is digital marketing?
Digital marketing are brand marketing tactics through the internet. It includes various techniques like SEO, SEM and link building.
2) How can you categorize digital marketing?
The digital marketing/communication is categorized into two segments-
Inbound Marketing: This technique takes the help of social media, digital content in e-books, webinars or e-newsletter to increase the number of clicks on links and to learn more about a company and its services.
Outbound Marketing: This segment includes placing ads, cold-calls, emails or reaching out potential customers through digital mediums.
3) Explain what is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization widely known as SEO is the process of improving the structure, content and organization of your site, so that the search engines can index it correctly. It also involves doing promotional activities to boost your search engine rank.
4) Explain what is a keyword in digital marketing? How important is it from the point of SEO?
“Keyword” in digital marketing is the word that a user’s or person enters into a search engine to find specific information.
From the SEO perspective, for better page ranking keywords are very crucial. How and where you have used the keywords will reflect your site ranking.
5) Mention what are the key areas where you can use keywords to optimize the site ranking?
For better page ranking, you must use the keywords in following areas:
- Keyword in Website URL
- Keyword in Website Title
- Keyword in Meta tag
- Keyword in Web page content
- Keyword density in body text
- Keywords in Headlines
6) What is Quality Score? Which factors determine Quality Score?
Quality Score is the quality evaluation of your ads, keywords, and landing pages. Better quality ads can result in lower costs and better ad positions. Quality Score is used to determine CPC and multiplied by the maximum bid to determine the ad rank in an ad auction process.
The 3 factors that influence quality score are:
- Landing Page Experience
- Expected CTR
- Ad Relevance
7) Explain PPC advertising?
Pay Per Click also known as Cost Per Click, is a technique used to direct traffic to websites. In this technique, advertisers pay the publisher (website owner or host of the website) when the ad is clicked. In other words, it is the amount spent to get an advertisement clicked.
8) What Is Ad Ranking?
Ad ranking is the position of a pay-per-click (PPC) ad on a search engine results page (SERP). The position of this ad depends on the position of each keyword included in the ad, which is determined by your bid for that keyword or ad group multiplied by the matched keyword’s Quality Score.
9) What are long-tail keywords?
A long-term word is a keyword phrase containing 4+ words that make the search results more specific. Although long-tail keywords get low search traffic, but they rank better than single-word keywords.
10) What are the most effective ways to increase traffic to your website?
The most effective ways to increase traffic to your website are:
- Paid search
- Display advertising
- Content marketing
- Writing crisp headlines
- SEO activities
- Content optimization
- Targeting long-tail keywords
- Guest blogging
- Seeking referral traffic
- Posting content on LinkedIn
- Linking Internally
- Email marketing
11) Name some useful Digital Marketing tools.
- Keyword Discovery
- Alexa Ranking
- Google Analytics
- Crazy Egg Heatmaps
- Favicon Generator
- XML Sitemap Generator
- SubmitExpress Link Popularity
- Digital Point Keyword Tracker
- Google Trends
- Google Keyword Planner
- Buffer App
12) Explain what is the significance of CTR and how do you calculate it?
CTR represents Click Through Rate that represents the number of guests visiting your promotion on the website page. The equation for ascertaining Click Through Rate is:
CTR = Number of snap/Number of impressions * 100.
13) Mention what are the primary models for determining Pay-Per-Click ?
The primary models for determining Pay-Per-Click are:
- Flat rate PPC:
Flat Rate PPC is where the advertiser and publisher (search engine) agree upon a fixed amount that will be paid for each click.
- Bid based PPC:
In a bid-based PPC, advertisers sign a contract that allows them to compete against other advertisers in an advertising network such as Google AdWords or Microsoft AdCenter.
14) Explain what is Google Adwords?
Google Adwords is the most popular PPC advertising system in the world. The AdWords platform enables the business to create ads that appear on Google search engine and the other properties owned and run by Google.
15) Do you believe that there are limitations or challenges to Digital Marketing and how would you overcome these?
Online marketing is dominant in today’s time, but offline marketing was also successful for a reason and appealed to earlier generations. Do not be completely biased towards the online world.
16) What are the differences between Digital Marketing and Branding?
Digital Marketing – Communicates a specific, desired message to a target audience.
Branding – Advertises or projects the overall brand (what the company stands for, etc) to attract a wider audience.
17) What should an effective PPC keyword be like?
An effective PPC keyword should be:
- Relevant : List out all targeted keywords
- Exhaustive : Apart from most popular keywords it should include the “long tail of search”
- Expansive: PPC is iterative, therefore the keyword list should be constantly growing and adapting
18) Why is social media important for a business and what are the most successful social media platforms according to you?
Companies are already aware of the importance of social media marketing. Thus, guide them on the most appropriate platforms that will help them achieve their goals and expand their audience.
19) Can you explain Google AdWords Remarketing?
Google AdWords Remarketing is referred to as a targeted marketing strategy assisting marketers to easily reach out to people who visited their site previously but didn’t go ahead with any purchase. This kind of remarketing assists in targeting the right person or clad with the right ads.
20) Mention what are the key elements to optimize the conversion rates per PPC?
Conversion rate is nothing but to bring more visitors to your site. To increase the conversion rates you have to focus on following things:
- Write compelling content on your site that is relevant to the keyword or search query
- Maintain a high degree of relevance between your ads and corresponding landing pages
- The webpage should easy registering process, signing up for a newsletter or making a purchase
- Check design of your landing page which should have the right combination of color, layout and GUI to attract more customers
21) What should be the approach for effective Pay Per Click campaigns?
For effective Pay Per Click campaign, you need to do following things:
- Adding more PPC keywords
- Split Ad groups
- Review costly PPC keywords
- Refine landing page
- Add negative keywords
22) List out some of the useful online marketing tools?
Some of the useful online marketing tools are:
- Google Analytics
- Digital point keyword tracker
- Crazy egg heat maps
- Keyword discovery
- XML Sitemap Generator
- Favicon generator
- SubmitExpress Link Popularity
23) Explain what is on-page and off page optimization?
- Off page optimization: It is the process of boosting your search engine ranking by getting external links pointing back to it
- On page optimization: On page optimization directly deals with the content and structure of the website.
24) What should one do to avoid the penalty?
- Do not link to any other site with bad page rank
- Avoid Poison words, for example, the word “link”, when you hypertext this text to give the link to your site it becomes a poison word
- Avoid stealing text or images from other domains
- Avoid redirecting users to another page through refresh meta-tags – don’t immediately send user or visitors to another page even before he or she clicked on the web page link
25) Mention what are the characteristics of “bad links”?
The characteristics of “bad links” are
- Links from sites that are unrelated to your sites
- Links from low Page Rank and Low traffic
- Links from link exchanges
- Links from those sites that are not in Google index
- Paid links
- Link from the same anchor texts coming from multiple sites
- Spammy links from blogs or articles.
26) Which are the 3 required parts of a text ad?
Every Text Ad has 3 parts:
- Headline Text
- Display URL
- Description Text
27) How many ads should be implemented per ad group?
AdRank decides the order in which competing ads should be ranked on the Search Engine. If setting manually, three to five ads should be implemented per ad group.